Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hard working slacker

Benji considers himself a hard working fellow. He spends a lot of time at work and has developed several innovations that have drastically improved the operations in his job. However there was one day when Benji wasn't so sure about his productivity.

Benji had spent all day at his desk reading a huge book called "How to do Your Job Better: a companion guide to How to do Your Job." This was not required reading but he thought that it would make him a better employee (so he could get more money and live the high life). Well Benji had just got back from his thirty eighth trip to the drinking fountain when his boss walked into he undersized cubicle. His boss was six foot six and around three hundred pounds of pure intimidation. He had a deep condemning voice that almost always tolled doom.

"Benji! where is the report I requested three weeks ago?"
"Well um... about that report... I-I-I-I... well I-"
"Stop your blabbering and explain to me why I don't have a report on my desk outlining the pros and cons of going with lengthier reports."
As he finished that statement he looked down and notice the huge book on Benji's desk.
"What is this Benji? casual day reading?"

(we will take a second to explain what Benji couldn't seem to spit out. Benji had finished the report within the hour that it was assigned except that he didn't think it was quite long enough to truly express the results he found (incidentally the longer the report is the better). So, in order to make his report better he had been reading the huge book about how to improve his work. This book was terribly useful but also terrible time consuming, three weeks time consuming apparently.)

"No-no..No sir Boss... I wan't to do my job better."
"What irony while trying to improve you job by reading this trash you were actually loosing it. Ha ha ha ha!"

Benji woke up to his boss's laughing. half his face was covered in drool and the huge book about how to improve your job was nearly soaked through. He jumped into action simultaneously shoving the huge book under his desk and wiping his face on his sleeve.

"Benji" his boss called from over the cubical wall.
Benji's real boss was a short balled guy with a sticky smile.
"Yes boss" Benji called back as he stuck his head around to see and be seen.
"Have you finished that report on the pros and cons of fission instead of fusion for our new reactor?"
"Yes Bos..." His boss cut him off
"Well never mind about that I want you to focus your efforts on a new concept that I just thought of."
"And what is tha..." Cut off again
"I want you to figure out the science behind dental feng shui."
"Feng shui?"
"Yes it is an old Chinese thing that makes your house have more energy; well I want it to work on dental hygiene so I don't embarrass my self with bad breath."
"Okay boss I'll see what I can figure out."
"Good good; have it to me by tomorrow" His boss walks off smiling at the hard working employees.
Benji looked both ways then pulled the huge book "How to accomplish impossible tasks in a very short amount of time: a companion to How to Stay Sane Around a Crazy Boss."
As Benji brought up WikiPedia on his computer to find out what feng shui really was, all he could think was "I wish sometimes dreams would become real."


No comments:

Post a Comment