Monday, November 1, 2010

Fenrir (not as dead as we all hoped)

I found out the real name of the big bad wolf; it is Fenrir from Norse mythology.

So this is how the story goes (you can find the complete Wikipedia version here Fenrisulfr) Loki (some god I think) Had three monster children, one of them was Fenrir. Fenrir is a wolf that grew at an amazing rate, he is very strong, and reminds me of Samson in the bible for reasons I will explain later. He is said to be the father of all wolves. 

Well the gods were a little afraid of Fenrir because he grew so fast and was so strong and so they decided the were going to find a way to catch him without getting hurt in the process. So they prepared Leyding which was a kind of fetter to bind Fenrir with. So the gods went up to him and said. "Hey brother I bet you can't break these bands were going to tie you up with", but Fenrir believed he could so he told them to tie him up, he quickly broke through Leyding and was free. So the gods got out Dromi, a fetter supposed to be twice as strong and said: "Hey brother how bout Dromi; no way you can break Dromi." Fenrir was sure he could so he let them tie him up and he broke through Dromi with just a little difficulty. Well the gods were a little miffed because their plan had failed so they commissioned some dwarfs to make them a special fetter that could hold Fenrir. The dwarfs made them Gleipnir  made of five special elements. It was as soft as a ribbon but stronger than any chain. So the gods take Gleipnir to Fenrir and ask him to put it on. Fenrir, sure that some trickery was about to go down said he would only put it on if one of the gods put their hand in his mouth as assurance that they were not trying to trick him. Tyr volenteers and subsuqently looses a hand. Fenrir kicks against Gleipnir but is unable to get free. All the Gods laugh and they take him down under the earth to be held until  Ragnarök when he will escape and kill the god Odin. (This story is a very good parallel the story of Sampson and Delila from the bible. Delila tries to trick Sampson by tying him up but he breaks free until she cuts his hair then he gets thrown in the dungeon by the Philistines until he kills them all later.)


Even the gods are afraid of Fenrir (at least I am good company) What is super awesome though is that I know his name. Knowing a name gives you power; because I now know the big bad wolf's name I have power over him. (besides "Fenrir" is a lot easier to type than "the big bad wolf".


I have decided that I will take the aggressive stance. I am not going to sit idly by while Fenrir terrorizes me and my family (and eventually everyone who reads this blog if I fail in foiling him (sorry to get you involved)). I will keep you informed on my progress and hopefully get some photographs. Stay vigilant; stay safe.










(Th e pictures and summary were taken directly from Wikipedia. I might go to prison for copyright infringement, but I am sure I will be in good company.)
(P.S. I will have the wife update the blog while I am in prison so don't worry about missing any great stories.)

No comments:

Post a Comment